1. Finished our study of Freedom of Speech (4th block)
2. Took notes on Freedom of Assembly and Petition AND the rights of the accused.
3. Completed the following short writing assignment:
Most Americans believe that one of the principal functions of government is to protect the rights of the governed. Among the rights that Americans want government to secure are freedom of religion, speech, press, and assembly. These civil liberties are expressly granted in the First Amendment. While the Constitution grants citizens these liberties, it can also be used by government to restrict these liberties when it can be shown that it is in the public interest to do so.
Agree or disagree with the following statement: In a democracy, guaranteed rights must be accompanied by a means to restrict those rights.
4. The homework is to:
1. Read Ch. 13, sections 3, 4, and 5 (and in 4th block, read the article on student dress)
2. PROJECTS ARE DUE ON THURSDAY, JANUARY 5TH
3. Tentative Test - Monday.
4. EC due 1/20